• 1,286 posts
  • Twitter:@KaptainJ
  • Steam:kaptainj
  • PSN:SirKaptainJ
  • Wii:KaptainJ
  • 3DS:5284 - 2393 - 6951
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

“The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too." These are the words uttered by Xbox World Magazine in their March 2012 issue.

According to the article, Microsoft is planning on doing...pretty much what Nintendo is doing - giving the controller of their new console an HD touchscreen. But unlike the Wii U controller, the Nextbox controller will supposedly have “a shape closer to Sony’s sleek Vita handheld/Apple’s iPad than Wii U’s bulky unit”.

“On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console," said Xbox World as they continued talking about the specs of the new console's controller. "It could be a remote control when you’re watching TV, a browser when you’re on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

Of course, the magazine also stated that the new console will more than likely be pretty expensive. And considering the original price of the Xbox 360, it very well may. Especially if Kinect is involved in any way. If what Xbox World says it accurate at all, we should expect to see the Xbox 720 at this year's E3.

What are your thoughts on this rumor? Would you like to see a touchscreen on the new Xbox?

Source: Gaming Everything

Click here to view the article

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Backloggery:number905
  • PSN:Number905
  • XBL:Number 905
  • 3DS:0060-9632-5541
  • LocationJoliet, IL

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Ugh...maybe I'll just stick to PC gaming next generation.
Posted Image

#3 Marcus Estrada

Marcus Estrada

GP Managing Editor

• Editor
  • 1,765 posts
  • Twitter:marcusboi
  • LocationSilent Hill, California

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was just thinking that, Rex. It could be possible that new systems would all want to have a touch interface (alongside buttons, I think). It may be useful in a lot of ways. Still, I don't want to deal with that unless I'm buying something expecting it. Like the 3DS I was completely happy about because the DS demonstrated there's a lot you can do with a touch screen. Still, I don't feel like those kind of experiences are the ones I want on a home console. It may be a cool new control scheme for a lot of people, but I'd need to be convinced by seeing amazing implementation, rather than companies following smartphone/tablet trends (which is what it seems like more than a copy of Nintendo now).

Posted Image

#4 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Backloggery:number905
  • PSN:Number905
  • XBL:Number 905
  • 3DS:0060-9632-5541
  • LocationJoliet, IL

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm not Rex...
Posted Image

#5 Shane Leonard

Shane Leonard

The FPS Fanatic

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Twitter:Shane_for_Wax
  • PSN:N7Spectrewolf
  • XBL:HouseMDfan
  • 3DS:1891-1677-6846
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image

Another screen for me to get dirty!

I'm not Rex...

LMFAO
Are you sure?

Posted Image

Beta Tester for 10 years. Game Reviewer for 5. Gamer for 20.

"We are all brothers under the skin, and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it."

#6 Marcus Estrada

Marcus Estrada

GP Managing Editor

• Editor
  • 1,765 posts
  • Twitter:marcusboi
  • LocationSilent Hill, California

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm not Rex...

Don't mind me I just had a late night when posting that :P .

Posted Image

#7 Direct Hit

Direct Hit

walk like a champion, talk like a champion

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • PSN:diirecthit
  • 3DS:2277-6820-1992
  • LocationMexico

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Uh oh... i just hope the console won't be 700 because of this...
AND ALL THAT I CAN SEE... IS JUST A YELLOW LEMON TREE!
Posted Image

#8 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Omg this is awesome, we can have a handheld for our handheld so we can handheld while we handheld in our handheld!?! /sarcasm

What's up with this trend? If I wanted a touchscreen/portable console I'd go buy a handheld one, stop trying to incorporate it into my consoles just to charge me more. Plus playing on a controller that big? That doesn't seem fun at all. Also knowing Microsoft...you'd have RROD's on the controller all the time!

I also hate the copying trend "We are doing what Nintendo is already doing but better, HAHAHA we are so clever!" Unless they really bring something new and compelling to the table with this, I don't really have an interest at all. There's already too much gimmicky stuff. I wish companies would be innovative instead of just copy/pasta. Similar to FB and all their useless changes, such as the newest "Stalker Timeline"!

Also, the inevitable price increase for the system :( hopefully it's not up in the $1,000's...which it seems like it could be since:

1) Next gen consoles always cost more
2) Kinect is being incorporated into it, it seems that it will no longer be an optional purchase
3) They are adding a handheld to it...which those alone are usually a couple-hundred...

I guess only time will tell.

#9 Darklurkr23

Darklurkr23

The C.W.M.

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:@Darklurkr23
  • Backloggery:Over 30 Games xbla/psn/pc combined XD
  • PSN:Darklurkr23
  • XBL:Darklurkr23
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just NO.

At least I know who to switch most of my games too. I have a 360 and ps3 atm but I can't decide what I like more, because i know more people on 360, but i like ps3 free internet and controller more!

I swear they better not get rid of tropheis and acheivemtns list or all this time i waste is for onthing. (Which is already kind of is if you think abou it0

#10 sirdan357

sirdan357

Podunk Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationMesa AZ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

You'd think this thing would get pretty nauseating with a tablet controller and Kinect both being standard. Having to flail your arms around while trying to look at the screen seems like a PITA.

#11 zero110100

zero110100

Podunk Novice

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well,it came true...partially.

#12 archangelreb

archangelreb

The Contest Guru Ohmmmmm

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • PSN:Aar24
  • XBL:ARCHANGELREB
  • LocationMarietta, Ga.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

It might be a good thing hopefully they will think it out this time so we don't end up like the launch machines of this generation.
[Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Laddie13

Laddie13

Podunk Reader

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • PSN:Laddie13
  • XBL:Laddie13

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

As long as they don't force me to use it in games I'm ok with it. I can see it's usefulness for other aspects of the multi-media hub the next Microsoft console is rumored to be but I'd rather have the option to not use touch screen features in console gaming. For me touchscreen is better suited for casual games like Angry Birds. I do understand why they would implement it as well as Kinect, to appeal to the casual market or Nintendo's more family oriented base. However if they can't keep prices down for next gen consoles it won't appeal to those markets anyway or at least not until a price drop.

The games I've played on the Vita haven't bothered me much with the touchscreen features. Uncharted Golden Abyss often gave button or touchscreen options except for a few menial tasks.

#14 Xpixgxzgxloxu

Xpixgxzgxloxu

Podunk Pioneer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • PSN:ramdomwolf
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

yeesh. It things like this that bring out the Nintendo Fanboy in me. You have no idea what it's like being a Nintendo fan. You get **** on by every gamer everywhere. Oh the Wii was stupid, motion controls suck. Then kinect gets released and it's all anyone will talk about. /calm

On one hand this is a harder copy-cat move than Kinect and PSMove. On the other hand this is rumor. This is exactly why they wrote this. to Stroke my goat. I really am going to resist saying anything seriously about this until I hear from a credible source that this is even likely.

#15 Kikyou1

Kikyou1

The First Stooge

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Twitter:@kikyouwuv
  • PSN:Kikyou1
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image

Another screen for me to get dirty!

LMFAO
Are you sure?

Is that Shane?!

Anyway I say leave that kind of stuff to Nintendo... Why would Microsoft want to head that way? I know they will still probably be hard core gaming but... why? I don't like it and I hope Sony stays away from the idea.

Side note: Loling at the mistaken identity.

galaxybanner_by_laiilanana-d6l4igs.png

Set made by: LaiilaNana ~by BangSHINee @Deviantart Happy Holidays!

#16 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

If Sony was smart, they would add similar functionality to the Vita, but coming out with a separate controller with a screen would just make the system cost too much...that is if the Vita isn't already dead by the time the PS4 comes out. I don't really like to copycat stuff too much. Move and Kinect are both inferior to Nintendo's simple motion controls, so I can really see Microsoft botching this up. I don't care too much about what Microsoft does because I'll probably never buy a Microsoft console again after my experiences with the 360.

twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins
PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPG

Currently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#17 Venom

Venom

Podunk Engineer

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  • Twitter:@vennimous
  • PSN:Star_Woolph
  • 3DS:3738-0044-8509
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Well, at least it's not Sony trying to rip off Nintendo this time.

If the next Xbox is as reliant on Kinect as the original post makes it sound, I'll be staying far, far away from it. I'm fine with the Wiimote, I don't have a Move but don't have a problem with it, but flailing around my room like an idiot to play a game just isn't my style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info