• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Clement

Jason Clement

GP Editor-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

So it looks like the rumors are saying the iPad 3 could be announced during the first week of March, and that it'd be a similar form factor the iPad 2 but have better and faster everything else (better screen, faster processors and better graphics).

I'm not a huge Apple user myself, but do we have any Apple fans in the house? Do you use an iPhone or iPad yourself? What do you think- are you excited for the iPad 3 at all?
Posted Image

#2 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

I have never seen the advantage of using tablets. Too big to replace an ipod/smartphone, too weak to replace a laptop and not dedicated enough to replace a PSP. I simply find it more efficient to invest elsewhere.

Posted Image

#3 Direct Hit

Direct Hit

walk like a champion, talk like a champion

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • PSN:diirecthit
  • 3DS:2277-6820-1992
  • LocationMexico

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

I have never seen the advantage of using tablets. Too big to replace an ipod/smartphone, too weak to replace a laptop and not dedicated enough to replace a PSP. I simply find it more efficient to invest elsewhere.

This. iPads are good and everything, but i'd rather have a good phone and a handheld console over an iPad, it's too bulky. I've always wanted to get an iPhone though, but there's not enough money in my pocket.
AND ALL THAT I CAN SEE... IS JUST A YELLOW LEMON TREE!
Posted Image

#4 bink

bink

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

They're really good if you're a photographer or artist and need to showcase your work in a very mobile and easy fashion on a simple but large screen. A laptop is a bit too cumbersome to carry around for this purpose.

I don't own a tablet yet but I would imagine in the very near future I might get one. Just a bit expensive right now and don't have quite enough need to spend the money.

#5 Sean Dimagiba

Sean Dimagiba

Contributing Writer

• Editor
  • 13 posts
  • Backloggery:arccaster301
  • PSN:headhunter23
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I would get one, but by the time I save up enough money for one, the iPad 4 will already be ready to go. It seems to be an unfortunate trend among phones and now pads.
Shrimpy_xD

#6 Daenerys Stormborn

Daenerys Stormborn

Khaleesi and Mother of Dragons

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

As with any Apple product, by the time you buy it the next one will be announced. Still, if I ever have a couple hundred bucks lying around I'd like to get one, mainly for digital manga and ebooks.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#7 SeveranceZero

SeveranceZero

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

If you want to keep up with the latest trends then sure! I personally think they are too expensive for what they do...I don't understand people that own ALL apple products together... iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook and even Mac desktops what's the point?! Half of them do the same thing.

A few quarters ago, I watched a student pull out her iPhone then her iPad half way through the class she put the iPad away and pulled out a Macbook Air....?! I was thinking do you really need all of those? Haha, obviously to each their own but I found it pretty funny.

As for me I like the iPhone, serves as my iPod, phone, and a browser pretty much everywhere I go is quite nice, plus all the apps, etc! And then I have a laptop and that's good enough for me.

#8 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Twitter:@will_snizek
  • Steam:kezins
  • PSN:kezins
  • XBL:kezins
  • Wii:kezins
  • LocationHigh Hrothgar, West Virginia

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I really want an iPad but I refuse to pay absurd data charges. If the iPad ever comes to Sprint, I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

twitter @will_snizek * kezins.zenfolio.com * instagram @kezins * Steam: kezins
PSN: kezins * Favourite genre: SRPG

Currently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#9 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

If you want to keep up with the latest trends then sure! I personally think they are too expensive for what they do...I don't understand people that own ALL apple products together... iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook and even Mac desktops what's the point?! Half of them do the same thing.

A few quarters ago, I watched a student pull out her iPhone then her iPad half way through the class she put the iPad away and pulled out a Macbook Air....?! I was thinking do you really need all of those? Haha, obviously to each their own but I found it pretty funny.

As for me I like the iPhone, serves as my iPod, phone, and a browser pretty much everywhere I go is quite nice, plus all the apps, etc! And then I have a laptop and that's good enough for me.

I'm a Mac person myself and it's all about quality. A good Mac will last you as long as you want it to. It's not like a PC that will often break down after a couple years . I've also had all kinds of phones over the years, but nothing that's as great as the iPhone. You pay a steep price with Apple products, but they are built to last.

Currently Game On: PS3 / PC (Steam) / Mac (Steam) / Android / iOS / PSP / Vita / Wii U / 3DS / Personal Super Player

#10 bink

bink

Podunk Builder

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm a Mac person myself and it's all about quality. A good Mac will last you as long as you want it to. It's not like a PC that will often break down after a couple years . I've also had all kinds of phones over the years, but nothing that's as great as the iPhone. You pay a steep price with Apple products, but they are built to last.

A PC is really pretty easy to fix. The parts are readily accessible and are fairly priced usually. Speaking of PCs however, I won't be getting the Windows 8 OS. Looks too much like a novelty OS and nothing like the original style with functionality. I don't want my computer to look like a phone, and I especially don't want it to work like a phone. It's a computer, and I want the OS to be optimized for efficiency, productivity, and accessibility, not social media and entertainment.

#11 Steve Bitto

Steve Bitto

GP Veteran

• Moderators
  • 425 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

They're really good if you're a photographer or artist and need to showcase your work in a very mobile and easy fashion on a simple but large screen. A laptop is a bit too cumbersome to carry around for this purpose.

Let's be honest though. The tablet craze has moved beyond just the serious photographers and artists!

Apple has sold more than 55 million iPads since its debut in 2010.

http://abcnews.go.co...16#.T1EqXnkzsoQ

Posted Image

#12 Andres

Andres

Podunk Novice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Lately i been getting interested on the ipad and i know the ipad 3 is coming out and i was thinking on getting one, but the problem is that apple brings out a revision every single year and to be honest i don't like that all the way. Cuz sure the ipad you have now is great but then the next one is better and the one after that is even better!!! i know i can just buy one and stick with that one, but it kinda annoys me apple doesn't give enough time for people to enjoy their products knowing that a revision is on its way. its kinda like a revision company when you think about it :mellow:

#13 Daenerys Stormborn

Daenerys Stormborn

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry that was pretty funny.

Sure, a Mac will last you a while, but so will a proper PC...for half the price. It's not even the PC's "break down" faster, its just people not taking proper care of their systems. Hell, Mac's ARE PC's. Stop trying to try and justify their inflated price by saying their somehow better. They're stylish, and simplified for users who don't want to worry about anything too complicated. I get that, they have their own market for that. I'm not even saying they're BAD products, just grossly overrated and overpriced.
Same with the iPhone, I OWN an iPhone and agree, there is nothing better...at least, there wasn't 5 years ago, but by now the market has caught up and you can get superior phones for similar prices. I'm debating whether upgrading to a 4S or just going w/ an Android device.
And one final thing, "built to last" is not really what I'd call Apple products. Sure, they're great products but every 6-12 months you get a newer model with just enough new stuff to warrant an upgrade but not enough to keep it once the next one comes out.

/end fanboy rant :D

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#14 Number 905

Number 905

Pyromancer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Backloggery:number905
  • PSN:Number905
  • XBL:Number 905
  • 3DS:0060-9632-5541
  • LocationJoliet, IL

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Please stick to the topic at hand. Any more diversions into brand warfare will be deleted.
Posted Image

#15 Shin GenX

Shin GenX

Podunk Reader

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • XBL:Shin GenXsis

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Looks pretty sweet but not too impressed. Basically the screen just got a lot prettier ^^ I was hoping for some more dramatic innovations. Still people will flock to it ^^ I will probably pass... again ^^

#16 Darklurkr23

Darklurkr23

The C.W.M.

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:@Darklurkr23
  • Backloggery:Over 30 Games xbla/psn/pc combined XD
  • PSN:Darklurkr23
  • XBL:Darklurkr23
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Not. One. Bit.

I haven't ever bought an Ipad

A computer is a computer and a laptop is a laptop, and a gaming system is a gaming system. That ipad thing is so stupid looking to carry around I've never buy one, and If I won one I'd sell it.

#17 Daenerys Stormborn

Daenerys Stormborn

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • LocationEssos

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Please stick to the topic at hand. Any more diversions into brand warfare will be deleted.

Aww but brand warfare is fun!

Okay Okay I'll stop.

Interesting to see that while WE'RE all calling it the iPad 3 they're just referring to it as "The New iPad". Like the fact that they're keeping the same $500 starting price for these new iPads, with $200+ discounts on all the previous gen models. Might be a good time to pick one up if you don't mind getting an older one.

graphic.png

Jrittmayer.png

di-UH6K.gif

#18 Barristan Selmy

Barristan Selmy

Podunk Jedi

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Looks pretty sweet but not too impressed. Basically the screen just got a lot prettier ^^ I was hoping for some more dramatic innovations. Still people will flock to it ^^ I will probably pass... again ^^

It looks like they put a much bigger battery in the new iPad, so it's not just a screen upgrade. I do think they release new iPads too often though.

#19 DarkCobra86

DarkCobra86

King in the North

• Members
  • 4,817 posts
  • Twitter:kiet86
  • Steam:kiet86
  • PSN:DarkCobra86
  • XBL:DarkCobra86
  • LocationMarietta, Ga

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I do want one just for the sake of having one. But I am not going to go out of my way to get one. I think it is so stupid of them to call it the new ipad instead of the ipad 3. They say reason for that name is to not be predictable, more like being dumb because people (like this thread) will call it the ipad 3.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iPad, Tech, Apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

About

Friends of GP

Site Navigation

Contact

• General Inquiry
  • contact (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

• Press Related
  • gp.press (at) gamepodunk (dot) com

Site Info