HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
barrel

Do cross-media movies, comics/books, or shows based on video games interest you?

So, it's not a new concept but Final Fantasy XV for example has an upcoming CGI movie and a few anime episodes before the release of the actual game. More details here if you missed the FFXV launch date announcement. But even before that we've seen tie-in comics for Dead Space or how stuff like Halo started incorporating lore from the novels that tie into Halo Reach and such. I guess the question is, even for games you like (or expect to like?), do you find yourself interested in tie-ins related to a game in an entirely different medium such as movies, comics/books, or shows?

I think my answer was pretty much entirely no as much of them aren't good. But then I realized that I'm actually somewhat interested in the upcoming Danganronpa 3 anime, which will tell a separate/parallel story related to the Danganronpa 3 game (confusing, I know. I'm not 100% sure what it is either.). Which is very odd, since I've haven't anime in like a couple years because I totally of fell off of it. I think it's also possible that I'll watch FFXV Kingsglaive (even if the character model differences still bug me.), despite Square-Enix having a terrible track record for movies related to Final Fantasy.

I have enjoyed the Halo movies, Prince of Persia, Dragons nest and others. Most game movies are junk because they are made by clueless people, but some times we get lucky. I'm not very interested in comics/books and anime is a 50/50 chance like the bad XenoSaga and the good Danganronpa season 1.

In general, no, not really. There have been a few things that interested me - like the Ratchet & Clank movie (I guess it counts since the new game is based on it) and the Injustice comics, but I've never seen the movie or read the comics so...I guess they're not interesting enough for me to go out of my way for them. In cases where said comics/movies/whatever come packed in with the game, I still don't often check them out unless I just absolutely adored the game and want to know as much about the game universe as possible. Thinking about it, I think the last tie-in I really bothered to check out (besides FFX Eternal Calm, which barely counts) was the book Perfect Dark: Initial Vector. So yeah...it's been a while since I actually picked up something like that.

I do like these stuff a lot. I think it is cool as it can give you more background information. The only problem is I don't always know these things exist so I never catch them myself. But this will apply for TV and movies for me. Like a TV show might have web episode that you can also catch or comics to read but I don't always read it. I mean I do want to but sometimes I end up forgetting or just don't even know there was one until much further down the series that I am watching or playing. By then, I'm so busy with other stuff I just don't bother to get into the extra stuff.

If I really like the game or series, then yeah, i'll check them out. Got the Darksiders II comic, as well as the novel, both of them take place well before any of the games, so that makes it easy to understand.

Got the Last of Us comic as well. And the Avatar the Last Airbender comics are ones that I'm seriously collecting. The Avatar ones are wonderful, it's like watching the cartoon, but in comic form.