HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

PS Vita Pulls Ahead of 3DS In Japanese Sales Last Week

It's been a rough first year for Sony's PS Vita, having sold fairly poorly for much of the last half year or so especially in the handheld's native country, but if this week is any indication, things may be looking up yet for the device.

With the one-two punch effect of Sony lowering the Vita's price and Soul Sacrifice releasing there, sales for the handheld jumped past the usual chart topping 3DS to sales of 63,581 units compared to the latter's 39,801 (via the LL version). Both 3DS SKUs come in at a combined 61,008, just slightly behind the Vita.

Soul Sacrifice has largely been compared to the popular Monster Hunter series, and rumor has it that Sony pressed ahead with its development in light of the fact that Monster Hunter 3G jumped over to 3DS, as well as this summer's Japanese release of Monster Hunter 4. So far, Sony's gambit appears to have worked, as Soul Sacrifice has pulled in 92,396 units sold in its debut week and has taken the #2 spot behind the chart topping behemoth that is Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (which came in at 110,229 units sold).

It's also notable that Tales of Hearts R, another new Vita release, landed in at #5 on the list, pulling in some 55,258 sales and contributing to the spike in Vita sales for the week. While it's good to see the Vita rebounding a bit in its home country, time will tell if it has the power to stay on top of the chart in the coming weeks.

You can see the full list of Japanese hardware sales for each console/handheld last week below (with current week sales followed by last week's sales).

PlayStation Vita – 63,581 (62,543)

3DS LL – 39,801 (50,265)

3DS – 21,207 (27,174)

PlayStation 3 – 19,567 (25,725)

PSP – 18,023 (11,171)

Wii U – 9,454 (10,021)

Wii – 1,363 (1,383)

Xbox 360 – 738 (486)

Via: NintendoLife

Source: Gematsu

Do you think the Vita is on the rebound sales-wise now?

Click here to view the article

It's definitely seeing a boost because of that price drop, but it's hard to say if that momentum will continue or if it's just a short burst of sales.

Sony of America should take some notes, though...

Guest ...

Who knew price drops help sell things better. We should have told Sony earlier.. oh wait we did.

Japan has better Vita games too..so that doesn't hurt. All we need here is a price drop on the system and memory cards. Sony is dumb to think that mystically people here will eventually want the Vita at current price in the future. They are really shooting themselves in the foot right now.

Looks like there is hope for the Vita afterall.

The formula is simple: Price Cut + Games = Success.

Although I would like to say price cut is still only for the actual handheld. Now if they did price cut on accessory too that would help a lot more.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/13/vita-outsells-3ds-in-japan-strong-sales-continue?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

Last week, we reported that the PlayStation Vita was finally finding some significant sales success in Japan following its vaunted Japanese price cut. During that week, Vita sold 62,543 units, a tremendous spike for a handheld that“s been wallowing in low sales numbers for a significant period of time.

Well this week, according to Japanese sales numbers published by Gemastu, not only have Vita“s sales been sustained, but they“ve actually increased slightly. From March 4th to March 10th, Vita sold 63,581 units, with Vita outselling the 3DS in Japan for the first time ever (including Vita“s launch week, when it was outsold by 3DS 367,691 to 324,859).

Sales have likely been sustained due to Vita“s price cut to below Â¥20,000, though two new significant games also launched for the handheld that almost certainly helped as well. Soul Sacrifice, from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, sold 114,446 units at retail (plus an undetermined amount digitally), while Tales of Hearts R pushed an additional 55,258 units at retail. Last week“s big games on Vita – Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and Phantasy Star Online 2 – reached total retail sales of 111,461 and 71,258, respectively.

Can Vita“s strong sales be sustained in Japan? Only time will tell.

That's pretty great. Vita seems like a good system, it just needs a bit of a jumpstart.

Now maybe SCEA will get the clue...

Haha I just heard about that like 2 hours ago. Good to know everyone else is keeping up with the numbers besides me, now I don't feel so weird.

It would be great if the sales momentum kept up, but usually you need the new software to go along with it for a price cut to have any dramatic effect on sales. Isn't the only big thing coming out on Vita in the near future Soul Sacrifice?

It would be great if the sales momentum kept up, but usually you need the new software to go along with it for a price cut to have any dramatic effect on sales. Isn't the only big thing coming out on Vita in the near future Soul Sacrifice?

In all honesty, I think Soul Sacrifice is really the one game that is helping them in Japan. Would a price cut in America help? I don't know since we won't have a game that everyone will want instantly like in Japan.

In Japan? The game is already out, I thought that is partially why the sales had any spike in the 1st place (since it is hyped up as the next Monster Hunter thing), that and Miku and Tales of Hearts. I would imagine God Eater 2 is something like that as well. Maybe the vita things of Neptunia, Legend of Heroes, and Gundam is too.

Steins; Gate is also incredibly popular over there and I believe 2 Vita games based on that came out over there as well. Those will undoubtedly help with sales.

Sign in to follow this