HEY, LISTEN! PLEASE READ THIS

HEY, welcome back to GP! You should probably check this thread out here if this is your first time back on the forum since our upgrade. Suffice it to say, some things have changed! CLICK HERE to read more about it, including some new functionality.

Sign in to follow this  
Jason Clement

Interesting Blog Detailing Renegade Kid's Trouble Getting Mutant Mudds on Steam

If you've played Mutant Mudds, you'd know it's a pretty decent game and certainly a good enough fit for Steam given all the other games that have made it onto the platform, but it seems as if Renegade Kid has gone through hoops trying to get the game onto Steam with no success, even attempting to go through Greenlight as well.

In his recent blog, Renegade Kid Co-Founder Jools Watsham explains exactly why Mutant Mudds hasn't made it onto Steam yet, and why that's troubling for them. Here's a partial excerpt:

"When we decided to port our critically-acclaimed and award-winning title, Mutant Mudds, over to the PC I looked at the library of game available on Steam to get an idea of pricing and genres available. Based on the games that are available on Steam I expected that Mutant Mudds would not have a problem getting on Steam. Not because I think Mutant Mudds is oh-so deservedly so, but because the library of games available on Steam ranges greatly in genre and quality. It does not give the impression of any strict guidelines.

My development experience with Renegade Kid has primarily been with Nintendo platforms. When we submit a game to Nintendo they test the game to ensure it does not crash or have any major bugs that impede gameplay. If the game contains any issues in this regard Nintendo sends us a report that explains why the game was failed. We fix it and resubmit. Nintendo works with developers where needed to isolate issues and correct them.

Valve is a successful company that is reportedly in good financial shape. With this in mind I assumed they would have a robust team in place that provides a similar submission service as Nintendo. I was lucky enough to be introduced to a Steam team member via email thanks to a friend. The Steam team member sent me a friendly email with a link to the submission form and said they look forward to checking out a playable build of Mutant Mudds..."

Check out the full blog here: http://joolswatsham....t.html?spref=tw

Maybe it's just me, but the whole thing seems like a delicately worded way to talk up how good he thinks Mutant Mudds (and how good the 3DS community thinks it is) is and that he really does think it's "oh so deservedly so" or whatever, and that Valve is foolish for not accepting his game because there are plenty of other 2D platformers and shooters on Steam, so why shouldn't his be?

Again, that's just me...I read too much into these things. xD

Maybe it's just me, but the whole thing seems like a delicately worded way to talk up how good he thinks Mutant Mudds (and how good the 3DS community thinks it is) is and that he really does think it's "oh so deservedly so" or whatever, and that Valve is foolish for not accepting his game because there are plenty of other 2D platformers and shooters on Steam, so why shouldn't his be?

Again, that's just me...I read too much into these things. xD

I can understand that a bit, but to be honest, I think he's justified in his frustration. Whatever anyone thinks of it, Mutant Mudds really is no worse than many of the games that make it onto Steam. And for the most part, it is a quality game, so I don't understand why it wasn't accepted by Steam before Greenlight happened. Greenlight, however, is an entirely different story since that's based on popularity from the community. It's just a shame that Valve couldn't go more into detail over why the game wasn't a fit for Steam.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to insinuate that the game isn't good or isn't deserving (I've only played the demo, but it's an alright game) just that it seems like he's using the opportunity to sell the game from a sympathetic angle by making Valve out to be the "bad guys" for not accepting this great, much loved game of his that *clearly* stands out above at least some of the games Steam.

He has every right to be frustrated, he just seems to be taking it too personally and seems to base his argument solely on critical feedback of the game.